Montgomery County is named for Richard Montgomery, who was a major general during the American Revolutionary War and who was killed at the Battle of Quebec.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Moore County
W – Stanly County
Created: January 1779
Tindalsville 1779 – 1791
Stokes 1791 – 1792
Henderson 1792 – 1816
Laawrenceville 1816 – 1843
Troy 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Troy
Location: 108 East Main Street / South Main Street
Built: 1920 – 1921
Architect: Benton and Benton
Contractor: Joe W Stout & Company of Sanford
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Troy .The north front has a large portico with four large columns rising to a pediment with clock at the roof line. The recessed entrance is framed with small pediment above. The roof line is flat. The interior has a cross hall plan with stairs at the east and west side. The courtroom is located on the second story. A geometric grille motif filled with the wooden partition and appeared in relief on the judge’s bench. The plastered walls still retain their crossetted window surrounds, pilasters and roundel panels. The building houses the County Superior Court and County District Court of the 20th Judicial District.
See: The contractor, Joe W Stout & Company of Sanford, also constructed the courthouse in Moore County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Montgomery County Courthouse
History: The county was created in 1779 and Tinsdale was selected as the county seat. The first court was held at the home of Henry Munger. The first courthouse was built in 1783 on the land of James Tindall. The county seat was moved to Stokes in 1791 and court was to be held at the home of Mark Kennet. In 1792, the county seat was moved to Henderson in 1795 the second courthouse was built and the first courthouse was sold. In 1816, the county seat was moved to Lawrenceville and the third courthouse was built and the second courthouse was sold. The courthouse burned in 1843 and the county seat was moved to Troy. The fourth courthouse was built by Peter Munroe in 1845 to 1846. The courthouse burned in 1886 and the fifth courthouse, a wooden structure was built in 1897 to 1898. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in December 1918. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed in 1920 to 1921.
County Administration – Troy
Location: 102 East Spring Street / South Main Street
Built: 1988 – 1989
Architect: Hayes-Howell, Professional Association
Contractor: Myrick Construction, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story brown colored concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the Troy to the south of the courthouse.The north front has a projecting center section with recess entrance on the first story and recessed windows. The windows on the building are recessed. The roof line is flat.
County Courthouse – Troy
Photos taken 2014