Stanly County is named for John Stanly, who was a United States Congressman, Speaker of the North Carolina House of Commons and who lived from 1774 to 1834.
Created: January 11, 1841
Albemarle 1841 – present
County Courthouse – Albemarle
Location: 201 South 2nd Street / King Avenue
Built: 1971 – 1972
Architect: Williams & Associates
Contractor: Dickerson Incorporated
Description: The building faces west and is a four story white colored concrete and glass structure. The building has a projecting fourth story with narrow vertical windows. The first story has red brick facing between the concrete pillars. There is a one story portico over the central west entrance. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed and constructed by L A Moody in 1893. The building was remodeled in 1926 and was torn down when the present courthouse was constructed.
W – Cabarrus County
Photos taken 2008