Moore County is named for Alfred Moore, who was a captain in the American Revolutionary War and a justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.
Created: July 4, 1784
Carthage 1784 – present
County Justice Center – Carthage
Location: 102 Monroe Street / Dows Road
Built: 1977 – 1979
Architect: Austin Associates
Contractor: King-Hunter Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The building is in located on the southeast side of the Public Square. The west front has a large glass wall with recessed entrances on either side. The second story has narrow horizontal windows. The flat roof overhangs the building.
County Courthouse – Carthage
Location: Courthouse Square / Dowd Road & Monroe Street
Built: 1922 – 1923
Architect: Christopher Gadsden Sayre
Contractor: Joe W Stout & Company of Sanford
Description: The building faces northwest and is a three story Indiana limestone structure. The building is located at the center of the Public Square. The northwest front has a central arched entrance on the first story with small balustrade above. The second and third stories have six recessed columns. The first story windows are arched. A projecting horizontal cornice runs between the first and second stories. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1890.
See: The contractor, Joe W Stout & Company of Sanford, also constructed the courthouse in Montgomery County.
Photos taken 2012 and 2014