Jones County is named for Willie Jones, who opposed the ratification of the United States Constitution and declined an invitation to the Constitutional Convention.
Created: April 14, 1778
Trenton 1784 – present
County Courthouse – Trenton
Location: 101 Market Street / Jones Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Classical Revival
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored Flemish bond brick and concrete structure. The west front has six vertical pillars with a wide pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a white colored cupola. The building was constructed under the Works Progress Administration. On the east side of the building is the old one story brick jail.
See: The courthouse is similar to the courthouse constructed in Pamlico County in 1937 to 1938 where the architect was Raymond Fuson and funding was provided under the Works Progress Administration.
E – Craven County
Photos taken 2012