Craven County is named for William Craven, who was the 1st Earl of Craven and was a Lord Proprietor of colonial North Carolina.
Created: December 3, 1705
New Bern 1705 – present
County Courthouse – New Bern
Location: 302 Broad Street / Craven Street
Built: 1883 – 1884
Architect: Samuel Sloan of Sloan and Balderston
Contractor: John B Lane.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story dark red colored brick style structure. The east front has a high square tower with arched entrance on the first story and rising above the roof line with a steep roof. The second story windows are arched At the north and south ends are one story arched porticoes. The building has a mansard roof. On the west side is a Courthouse Annex constructed in 1992 to 1993. The architect was Peterson Architects of New Bern and the contractor was Trader Construction Company of New Bern.
County Justice Center – New Bern
Location: 1100 Clarks Road / Highway 70
Built: 2007 – 2009
Architect: Moseley Architects
Contractor: DeVere Construction Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces southeast and is a one story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The southeast front has a white colored portico with four columns with pediment above the flat roof line.
S – Carteret County
Photos taken 2012