Iredell County

US States / N / North Carolina / Iredell County
0451NC12

Iredell County is named for James Iredell, who was a comptroller at the port of Edenton and who was one of the original justices of the Supreme Court of the United States.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Wilkes County and Yadkin County

E – Davie County and Rowan County

S – Cabarrus County and Mecklenburg County

W – Lincoln CountyCatawba County and Alexander County

 

Created:  November 3, 1788                  Map of North Carolina highlighting Iredell County

County Seat: 

Statesville  1788 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Statesville  

 

Location: 200 South Center Street / Walnut Street

Built:  1899 – 1900

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:   Louis E Schwend of Hayden, Wheeler and Schwend

Contractor:  Nicholas Itner.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Statesville to the southwest of the courthouse. The east front has a porch with four columns. The third story has a smaller section above with three round windows and a mansard roof. In the interior is a vestibule on the first story with stairs to the second story where the large courtroom is located. The chamber is finished with a wooden dado, plaster walls, a pressed tin ceiling with boxed joists creating a coffered effect, and ornate cast-iron unit searing with molded wooden seats and backs. The building was renovated in 1989 to 1990. The architect was Design Associates Inc. and Goode and Krider and the contractor was I L Long Construction Company, Inc. On the southwest side is the two story buff colored brick addtion constructed in 1966.

 

See:  The courthouse is very similar in appearance to the old courthouses in Ashe CountyAvery County, Randolph CountyStokes County and Wilkes County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Iredell County Courthouse

 

County Courthouse – Statesville  

 

0442nc12

 

Location:  221 East Water Street / North Tradd Street

Built:  1970 – 1971

Style:  Modern

Architect:  J T Pegram of Adams and Pegram Architects & Engineers of Statesville

Contractor:  H R Johnson Construction Company. Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces south and  is a two story white colored brick and concrete structure. The building has vertical pillars between the narrow vertical windows. The main entrance on the first story is located on the west side of the south front. A wide overhanging band runs along the flat roof. The building is named as the Hall of Justice and houses the County Superior Court and County District Court of the 22nd Judicial District. On the southwest side is the County Hall of Justice Annex.

 

See:  The architect,  J T Pegram of Statesville, also designed the courthouse in Burke County.

 

County Hall of Justice Annex – Statesville  

 

0371c14

 

Location:  221 East Water Street / North Tradd Street

Built:  1977 – 1978

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Pendleton, Leonard & Krider

Contractor:  Grant Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and  is a two story white colored brick and concrete structure. The square shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Statesville on the west side of the courthouse. There are vertical dividers along the south front a central second story entrance and a wide ribbed band below the roof line. The exterior of the first story has red colored brick. On the north side the full two stories are visible with county offices housed in the first story. The roof line is flat. The building was constructed as the Iredell County Agricultural Center.

 

See:  The 22nd Judicial District includes Alexander CountyDavidson County and Davie County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1788 and Statesville was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1790. The second courthouse was built in 1819. The courthouse burned in 1854 and the third courthouse was built in 1855. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1899 to 1900 and is still standing. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1970 to 1971.

 

County Tax Department – Statesville  

 

. 0445nc12

 

Location:  135 East Water Street / North Tradd Street

Built:  2005 – 2006

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Design Associates, Inc. and Charles K Goode

Contractor: .Grange Construction Company, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces south and  is a one story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Statesville to the southwest of the courthouse. The south central entrance is recessed. A wide concrete band runs along the flat roof line. 

 

 

 

0456nc12

Old County Courthouse – Statesville

 

 

0452nc12

 

 

0453nc12

 

 

0454nc12

 

 

0455nc12

 

 

0457nc12

 

 

0458nc12

 

 

0389c14

 

 

0387c14

 

 

0388c14

 

 

0460nc12

 

 

0459nc12

 

 

0391c14

 

 

0393c14

 

 

0461nc12

 

 

0438nc12

County Courthouse – Statesville

 

 

0439nc12

 

 

0440nc12

 

 

0441nc12

 

 

0369c14

 

 

0370c14

 

 

0443nc12

County Hall of Jusstice Annex – Statesvillr

 

 

0374c14

 

 

0375c14

 

 

0446nc12

County Tax Department – Statesville

 

 

0447nc12

Photos taken 2012 and 2014