Carteret County

US States / N / North Carolina / Carteret County
Carteret

Carteret County is named for John Carteret, who was the 2nd Earl Granville and who inherited a one-eight share in the Province of Carolina through his great-grandfather George Carteret.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Jones CountyCraven County and Pamlico County

E – Atlantic Ocean

S – Atlantic Ocean

W – Onslow County

 

Created:  1722                                        Map of North Carolina highlighting Carteret County

County Seat: 

Beaufort  1722 – present

 

County Courthouse – Beaufort  

 

Location:  308 Craven Street / Broad Street

Built:  1906– 1907

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Herbert Woodley Simpson

Contractor:  Porter and Goodwin

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The west front has a large portico supported by four white colored columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. On the south side is another large portico. On the center of the roof is an octagonal white colored wood cupola. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building enlarged in 1968. The architect was Guy Wilson Jr. & Associates. The building was renovated and enlarged in 1984 to 1987. The architect was Barthomew Associates, Inc. and James B Wells, Inc. and the contractor was S T Wooten Construction Company, Inc. and Jerry Lawrence General Contractor Inc.

 

History:  The first courthouse was erected in Beaufort in 1724. The second courthouse was built in 1728 by William Dean of Dean Island. The third courthouse was built by Colonel William Thomson in 1796 and the building is still standing. The fourth courthouse was built by James Ward and brick masons in 1837 at a cost of $4400. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1906 and 1907 at a cost of $32,000.

 

County Administration – Beaufort  

 

1191nc12

 

Location:  308 Craven Street / Broad Street

Built:  1980– 1982

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Barthomew Associates, Inc.

Contractor:  Gardener Construction Company, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building has a recessed entrance on the west side with an overhang supported by two thin columns. The windows are horizontal and the roof line is flat. The building is connected to the courthouse on the south side.

 

Old County Courthouse – Beaufort  

 

Location:  100 Turner Street / Ann Street

Built:  1796 – 1797

Style:  Colonial

Architect:  Colonel William Thomson.

Contractor:  Colonel William Thomson.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story brown colored clapboard structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Beaufort Museum, in the center of Beaufort. The building served as the courthouse until 1834 and became a residence until it was moved to the Beaufort Museum.

 

Note:  The old courthouse is the oldest courthouse structure in North Carolina.

 

Old County Jail – Beaufort  

 

Location:  100 Turner Street / Ann Street

Built:  1828 – 1829

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Elijah Whitehurst.

Contractor:  Elijah Whitehurst.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story white colored clapboard structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Beaufort Museum in the center of Beaufort. The building was located on the Courthouse Square. The jail continued in use until 1954

 

 

1182nc12

County Courthouse – Beaufort

 

 

1185nc12

 

 

1186nc12

 

 

1187nc12_0

 

 

1188nc12

 

 

1193nc12

 

 

y

Commissioner Minutes 1908

 

 

1189nc12

County Administration – Beaufort

 

 

1192nc12

 

 

1194nc12

 

 

1181nc12

Photos taken 2012