Pamlico County is named for the Pamlico Sound, which was named after the Pamlico Native American tribe.
Created: February 8, 1872
Bayboro 1872 – present
County Courthouse – Bayboro
Location: 202 Main Street / NW 3rd Street
Built: 1937 – 1938
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Raymond Fuson
Contractor: William Milan and other trades
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete style structure. The south front has a large portico supported by four high white colored columns with pediment at the roof line. The roof is hipped. On the west side is the twoo story brick County Annex built in 1974 to 1976. The architect was John N Peterson and the contractor was Wimco Company of Washington.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by W W Hooker and constructed in 1893. The present courthouse was constructed under the Works Progress Administration at a cost of $43,000 and the supervisor was John W Jones. The architect, Raymond Fuson, was appointed to purchase the building materials.
See: The courthouse is similar to the courthouse in Jones County.
E – Atlantic Ocean and Carteret County
W – Craven County
Photos taken 2012