Lenoir County is named for William Lenoir, who was a captain in the American Revolutionary War and who took part in the Battle of Kings Mountain.
Created: December 4, 1791
Kinston 1791 – present
County Courthouse – Kinston
Location: 130 South Queen Street / King Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: A Mitchell Wooten and John J Rowland
Contractor: T A Loving Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story brownish colored stone and concrete structure. The west front has a large recessed porch with four large pillars rising to a header along the flat roof line. The second and third stories have large windows. On the east side is a new addition constructed in 1981 to 1983. Between the two building is a large atrium with glass walls on the north and south sides. The architect was Burnstudio & Jenkins-Peer and the contractor was Dale Blosser & Associates.
Note: The courtroom is the largest courtroom in North Carolina.
N – Greene County
S – Jones County
Photos taken 2012