Sampson County is named for John Sampson, who was the first register of deeds of Duplin County and the first mayor of Wilmington, North Carolina.
James Myhand House 1784
Clinton 1784 – present
County Courthouse – Clinton
Location: 101 East Main Street / Lisbon Street
Built: 1902 – 1904
Architect: B F Smith Fireproof Construction Company
Contractor: B F Smith Fireproof Construction Company
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building has a large porch supported by five large white colored pillars rising to the roof line. The entrance is recessed. There is also a similar porch on the northwest side. There are south and north wings with dormers on the roof. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola with clock and green roof. The building was remodeled in 1937 to 1938 and the architect was R R Markley. The remodeling was a Public Works Administration project.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $30,000. Years later, in 1938, the building was completely remodeled at a cost of $100,000.
E – Duplin County
S – Pender County
Photos taken 2008