Cleveland County

US States / N / North Carolina / Cleveland County
Cleveland -O

Cleveland County is named for Benjamin Cleveland, who was a colonel in the American Revolutionary War, who took part in the Battle of Kings Mountain and who lived from 1738 to 1806.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Burke County 

E – Lincoln County and Gaston County

S – York County, South Carolina and Cherokee County, South Carolina

W – Rutherford County

 

Created:  January 11, 1841                    Map of North Carolina highlighting Cleveland County

County Seat: 

Shelby  1841 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Shelby

 

Location:  SE – East Marion Street / South Lafayette Street

Built:  1906 – 1907

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  H L Lewman of Louisville, Kentucky

Contractor:  Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story light colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Shelby. The building has a large portico on each side supported by four large white columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a square tower at each corner with silver colored domes and ballustrade. On the center of the roof is an octagonal white colored dome with clock and silver colored roof. The building is now a Historical Museum.

 

See:  The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky.

 

County Courthouse – Shelby

 

0947sc08

 

Location:  100 Justice Place / East Warren Street

Built:  1970 – 1972

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Vaughan – Talley & Associates

Contractor:  H L Goble Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Shelby. The main entrance has a small portico supported by two columns and a recessed glass doorway. The building rises into a peaked roof on either side of the entrance. Behind the entrance is a flat copper dome. The red colored tile roof extends to the north and south over the extended wings. The building was remodeled in 1992. The architect was Martin Boal Anthony & Johnson and the contractor was Beam Construction Company.

 

History:  The first court met at the home of William Weathers southwest of Shelby. The first courthouse was a log structure erected on the Courthouse Square in Shelby in 1842. The second courthouse was a red colored brick structure built by George Smith in 1874 at a cost of $6,409. The third courthouse was constructed at a cost of $75,000 in 1906 to 1907 and is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1970 to 1972.

 

County Administration – Shelby

 

0952sc08

 

Location:  311 East Marion Street / Justice Place

Built:  1992 – 1993

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Holland & Hamrick

Contractor:  A A Ramsey & Son, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story reddish colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Shelby. The building has three large arches in the center section.

 

 

0939sc08

Old County Courthouse – Shelby

 

 

0941sc08

 

 

0943sc08

 

 

0944sc08

 

 

0948sc08

County Courthouse – Shelby

 

 

0949sc08

 

 

0950sc08

 

 

0954sc08

County Administration – Shelby

 

 

0955sc08

Photos taken 2012