Union County was formed from the eastern portions of Colfax, Mora and San Miguel Counties, and was named for that formation of “union”.
Created: February 23, 1893
Clayton 1893 – present
County Courthouse – Clayton
Location: 200 Court Street / South 2nd Avenue
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: D P Kaufman and Son
Contractor: Wooten and Bundy.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. On the center of the roof is a large white colored octagonal dome with white roof. On the north front are four large white colored columns rising to the top of the second story with a red colored brick parapet above. Stone trim decorates the corners of the building.
Note: The courthouse is the oldest county courthouse in New Mexico in continuous use.
Photos taken 2006 and 2007