Harding Colfax County was named for Warren G Harding, who was the 29th President of the United States.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
W – Mora County
Created: March 4, 1921
Mosquero 1921 – present
County Courthouse – Mosquero
Location: 35 Pine Street / South 3rd Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Style: Modified Greek Revival
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The square shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the Mosquero. The portico on the west front is embellished with engaged pilasters, bracketed and dentilated cornice, and broad pediment of white colored stone. Along the roof is extending white stone trim. The roof line is flat. The building was constructed for use as a school but renovated for use as the courthouse in 1921 and completed in 1922. The interior has vinyl tile floors, plaster walls and ceilings. Doors are wooden with wood framed transom light; the baseboards and banister railings are also wood. A single stairway leads on to a small vestibule outside the courtroom on the second story. The courtroom has vinyl tile flooring, Deco Style wood and metal seating, wooden chair rail moldings and a wood panel judge’s bench. The acoustical tile ceiling may conceal a stamped tin ceiling above. The building houses the District Court of the 10th Judicial District.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Harding County Courthouse
History: The county was created in 1921 and Mosquero was selected as the county seat. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1905 to 1906 as a school.
County Courthouse - Mosquero
Photos taken 2007 and 2019