Quay County is named for Matthew Stanley Quay, who was a United States Senator from Pennsylvania and who supported statehood for New Mexico.
Created: January 28, 1903
Tucumcari 1903 – present
County Courthouse – Tucumcari
Location: 300 South 3rd Street / High Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Townes and Funk
Contractor: C S Lambie & Company.
Description: The building faces east and is a four story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front of the building is faced with white colored stone and has a long vertical brick dividers framing the vertical windows. The center section rises higher than the north and south wings. The north and south wings project from the main building. A large mural is located above the entrance lobby. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was a Works Progress administration project.
See: The contractor C S Lambie & Company constructed courthouses in Roosevelt County and Sierra County and in Texas in Childress County, Gregg County, Hutchinson County, Moore County, Potter County and Ward County.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1908 and was demolished.
Photos taken 2007 and 2019