Baca County is named for Felipe Baca, who was a pioneer and a Colorado territorial legislator.
Created: April 16, 1889
Springfield 1889 – present
County Courthouse – Springfield
Location: 741 Main Street / West 7th Avenue
Built: 1916 – 1917
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Ed Pierson of Lamar
Contractor: Ed Pierson of Lamar
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The east front of the building has a small overhang at the central entrance on the first story. The windows on the second story are arched. A wide cornice follows the flat roof line. The building was remodeled in 1929 and 1930 when the east front was changed. An addition extends west from the main building in 1935 and is constructed with stone. In 1980, orange colored brick was added to the north side of the building which is now the main entrance. The building was remodeled. The architect was Akin Olshin Schade Architects and the contractor was White Construction Group
Note: The contract was let in Lamar to Ed Pierson in 1916 for the sum of $3300 for a building two stories 40 feet by 60 feet, including one vault and a concrete floor.
Photos taken 2006