Dallam County is named for James Wilmer Dallam, who was a lawyer and newspaper publisher.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Sherman County
S – Hartley County
W – Union County, New Mexico
Created: August 21, 1876
Texline 1876 – 1903
Dalhart 1903 – present
County Courthouse – Dalhart
Location: 414 Denver Avenue / East 5th Street
Built: 1921 – 1922
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Smith and Townes
Contractor: A F Stewart Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Dalhart. The building has a raised basement. The south front has a small portico supported by four high Ionic columns. On the east and west sides, the porticos have two high columns. A band of white colored stone trim follows the top of the columns around the building and above that is a decorative cornice and near the roofline is a narrow band of white colored stone trim. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the entrance vestibule is small and there are staircases on the east and west sides. The County Court courtroom is located on the first story and the District Court courtroom is located on the second story and used to rise into the third story with a balcony. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court. The Annex was constructed in 1957.
History: The county was created in 1876 and Texline was selected as the county seat in 1891 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was a wood frame structure built by W M Andrews and R J Tofflemire in Texline in 1891 at a cost of $2,664. In 1903, the county seat was moved to Dalhart and the second courthouse was constructed by John A White of Vernon at a cost of $14,375. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1921 to 1923 at a cost of $200,000.
County Courthouse - Dalhart
Photos taken 2006, 2016 and 2019