Camden County is named for Charles Pratt, 1st Earl of Camden, who was Chancellor of England and leader of the Whig Party.
Created: January 29, 1841
Erie 1843 – 1855
Linn Creek 1855 – 1930
Camdenton 1930 – present
County Courthouse – Camdenton
Location: 1 Court Circle NW / Highway 7
Built: 1931 – 1932
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Victor J DeFoe
Contractor: B O Short of Pierce City
Description: The building faces north and is a two story light yellow colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building is 76 feet by 32 feet. The north front has a projecting center section rising three stories with stone facing at the top. The roof line is flat. An addition was added on the southeast in 1999. The architect was ASAI ( Abend Singleton & Associates ) and the contractor was Dewitt & Associates Inc.
Note: The first courthouse was built William C Young by in Erie in 1846 under the supervision of S R Roberts for $4,046. In 1867, a courthouse was built in Linn Creek by G B Shubert and James H. Waldron under the supervision of Thomas Selby for $4,975. The building was damaged by fire in 1902. The next courthouse was built in 1906 using the standing brick walls of the former courthouse. In 1930, a temporary courthouse was built by W J Cochran and Sons of Boonville at a cost of $4,000 when the county seat was moved to Camdenton when Linn Creek was flooded to creat the Lake of the Ozarks. The present courthouse was constructed in 1931 at a cost of $50,000.
Photos taken 2009