Dallas County is named for George Mifflin Dallas, who was the eleventh Vice President of the United States.
Created: January 29, 1841
Buffalo 1841 – present
County Courthouse – Buffalo
Location: 108 North Maple Street / East Main Street
Built: 1956 – 1958
Architect: Eugene F Johnson
Contractor: Rex A Kinser.
Description: The building faces north and is a one story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building fills the area of courthouse square.The north front has stone facing at the center entrance. The windows are horizontal. A wide overhang follows the flat roof line. A small section extends above the entrance. The roof line is flat. On the east side of the courthouse is the County Administration Building.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Levi Beckner in 1846 to 1847 and was destroyed by fire on October 18, 1863. The second courthouse was designed by Eleazer Hovey and built by A E Dye in 1868 to 1870 at a cost of $17,500. The building was renovated in 1937 and the cupola was removed in 1951. The building was destroyed by fire March 2, 1955. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $241,114
Photos taken 2009