Moniteau County is named for Moniteau Creek which was named by the French after the Algonquin Native American word “Manitou” meaning “Great Spirit”.
Created: February 14, 1845
California 1845 – present
County Courthouse – California
Location: 200 East Main Street / North High Street
Built: 1867 – 1868
Style: Second Empire and Italianate
Architect: William Vogdt
Contractor: Underwood and Conn of Illinois
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and is 54 feet by 89 feet. The south front has a curved portico supported by two brick columns rising to a dome at the roof line. The cornice at the roof line extends outward. On the center of the roof is an octagonal wood cupola. The base of the building is course stone. In 1905 there was extensive remodeling completed. The architect was O E Sprouce. Minor changes were made in 1934.
S – Miller County
Photos taken 2009