Benton County is named for Thomas Hart Benton, who was a United States Senator from Missouri.
Created: January 3, 1835
Warsaw 1837 – present
County Courthouse – Warsaw
Location: 316 Van Buren Street / Main Street
Built: 1886 – 1887
Architect: George A Masters
Contractor: Maurice Barret of Sedalia and Fred Busche of Lincoln
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The north front has a two story porch with balcony on the second story which was added in 2008. At the roof line is a gable with a slanted roof running the length of the building. The roof is hipped. The architect in 2008 was Zingre and Associates and the contractor was Westport Construction, Inc.
Note: The first courthouse was built as a temporary building under the supervision of Adamson Cornwall in 1838 and a permanent courthouse was constructed by Rolla M Griffith and later by Bartholomew Keown, William Hurt, Joel Shepard and James Donald in 1840. The cost was $4,500. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $9,089.
N – Pettis County
S – Hickory County
Photos taken 2009