Miller County is named for John Miller, who was an American publisher, politician from St. Louis, fourth governor of Missouri and representative from Missouri in the United States Congress.
Created: February 6, 1837
Tuscumbia 1837 – present
County Courthouse – Tuscumbia
Location: 2001 Highway 52 / Catfish Road
Built: 2002 – 2003
Architect: Archetype Design Group Inc of Leawood, Kansas
Contractor: Ebco Construction Group of Olathe, Kansas
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story concrete, stone and glass structure. The southwest front has a projecting center section with canopy over the first story entrance and a high vertical window above with clock at the top. The lower part of the building is light colored stone. A cornice runs below the flat roof line.
Old County Courthouse – Tuscumbia
Location: High Street / Bluff Street
Built: 1857 – 1859
Architect: Owen Riggs
Contractor: Robert McKim and Robert Ainsworth.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story gray colored stone structure. The south front has a central projecting section with arched entrance on the first story and three vertical windows on the second story and pediment above. A wide cornice runs below the roof line. Along the east and west sides are central gable roofs with large square clock tower with dome on the roof. The north side has a two story addition. An addition was constructed in 1910 and the sides were veneered with native limestone. The architect was Charles Opel and Frank B Miller of Miller & Opel of Jefferson City and the contractor was P F Havenstein and R T Roberts.
Note: The first courthouse was built by John Davis under the supervision of Hardin M Williams in 1839 to 1841 at a cost of $199. The cost of construction of the second courthouse in 1857 was $6,000. The cost for the addition in 1910 was $13,800.
Photos taken 2009