Hickory County named for “Old Hickory”, the plantation owned by President Andrew Jackson in Tennessee.
Created: February 14, 1845
Hermitage 1845 – present
County Courthouse – Hermitage
Location: SW – Jackson Street / West Dallas Street
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on spacious grounds. The south front has a central entrance with a gable at the roof line. The building has a hip roof with an open wood belfry at the front of the building. Located near the courthouse is the old stone jail,
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1847 and was destroyed by fire in 1852. The second courthouse was built in 1860 and was destroyed by fire on January 8, 1881. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $5,350.
N – Benton County
S – Polk County
W – St. Clair County
Photos taken 2009