Gratiot County

US States / M / Michigan / Gratiot County
Gratiot

Gratiot County is named for Charles Gratiot, who was the military officer who built Fort Gratiot at the present site of Port Huron.

 

Created:  March 2, 1831

County Seat:

Ithaca  1856 – present

 

County Courthouse – Ithaca  

 

Location:  214 East Center Street / South Main Street

Built:  1900 – 1901

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  Claire Allen of Jackson

Contractor:  A W Mohnke of Grand Rapids

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story yellow-brown colored Berea sandstone structure. The building has a large portico with three high arches on the first story and on the second story is a balcony with three windows and above is a decorated pediment. The east and west corners have square towers with low peaked roofs.  On the center of the roof is a high square clock tower with columns, dome and small cupola at the top. In 1905, the clock was installed by N Johnson of Manistee. During construction, the supervisor was Jere Marks of St. Louis, Missouri.

 

County Judicial Building – Ithaca  

 

1132mc08

 

Location:  245 East Newark Street / South Main Street

Built:  1994 – 1995

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Giffel Consultants Inc. of Southfield and John Dziurman

Contractor:  Heartland PSC, Inc. of Lansing.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. On the north side, the building is attached to the courthouse. The south entrance has a concrete lattice wall with overhang at the doorway. The west section is two stories and the east section is one story.

 

See:  Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky

 

Courthouses: 

N – Isabella County and Midland County

E – Saginaw County

S – Clinton County

W – Montcalm County

 

 

 

1121mc08

 

 

1120mc08

 

 

1122mc08

 

 

1123mc08

 

 

1124mc08

 

 

1125mc08

 

 

1129mc08

 

 

1128mc08

 

 

1126mc08

 

 

1127mc08

 

 

1130mc08

 

 

1131mc08

 

 

1134mc08

 

 

1133mc08

 

 

1135mc08

Photos taken 2008