Saginaw County is named for a Native American term having reference to the Sauk tribe who lived at the mouth of the river, or from “Sace-nong” or “Sak-e-nong” ( Sauk Town ), or from the Chippewa words meaning “place of the outlet” from “sag” ( an opening ) and “ong” ( place of ).
Created: September 10, 1822
Saginaw 1835 – present
County Courthouse – Saginaw
Location: 111 South Michigan Avenue / Court Street
Built: 1971 – 1972
Architect: Wiger Tincknell & Associates Inc. and Giffels Associates Inc.
Contractor: Collinson Construction Company
Description: The building faces southeast and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The first story has recessed walls with a walkway. The roof line is flat. The old courthouse clock was placed in a tower which stands in front of the building. The building is named as the Saginaw County Governmental Center.
Note: The first courthouse was constructed by Asa Hill in 1837 at a cost of $9,510. The previous courthouse was designed by Frederick W Hollister and constructed by Dawson & Anderson of Toledo, Ohio in 1884 for a cost of $92,712.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Tuscola County
W – Gratiot County
Photos taken 2008