Isabella County is named for Queen Isabella of Spain, whose patronage permitted Christopher Columbus to undertake his voyage to America.
Created: March 2, 1831
Isabella Centre 1859 – 1860
Mount Pleasant 1860 – present
County Courthouse – Mount Pleasant
Location: 300 North Main Street / East Lincoln Street
Built: 1999 – 2000
Architect: Othe, Duffy, Bassinger & Dice
Contractor: Three Rivers Construction of Midland
Description: The building faces west and is a two story brick, glass and concrete structure. The center section rises above the north and south wings and has an overhang at the entrance and large glass window on the second story. The roof line is flat. The former courthouse is on the south side of the building.
County Administration – Mount Pleasant
Location: 200 North Main Street / East Mosher Street
Built: 1970 – 1972
Contractor: Gerace Construction Company.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored stone, glass and concrete structure. The building faces west with the main entrance at the southwest corner where there is a glass lobby. The building has horizontal windows with narrow vertical black dividers. The roof line is flat. The building is the former courthouse.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Fred W Hollister and constructed by Hemmeter & Kaiser in 1876. The dome has been preserved and sit on the grounds of the present courthouse.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Clare County
E – Midland County
W – Mecosta County
Photos taken 2008