Van Buren County is named for Martin Van Buren, who was a United States Secretary of State and later President of the United States.
Created: October 29, 1829
Paw Paw 1837 – present
County Courthouse – Paw Paw
Location: 212 Paw Paw Street / South Kalamazoo Street
Built: 1901 – 1903
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Claire Allen of Jackson
Contractor: George Rickman & Sons Company of Kalamazoo
Description: The building faces north and is a three story sandstone structure. There is a large portico with three arches on the first story and four columns rising to the top of the second story with decorative pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large square clock tower with open sides. Atop the tower is a smaller square clock tower with high green copper roof. The Sheldon and Oradell Rupert memorial clock was installed in the tower in 1986. In 1974 an annex was constructed on the south side.
Old County Courthouse – Paw Paw
Location: 111 East Michigan Avenue / South Gramps Street
Built: 1842 – 1845
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Stafford Godfrey and Rueben E Churchill
Contractor: Stafford Godfrey, Rueben E Churchill and Henry W Rhodes.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story wood fame structure. The south front has six white colored columns rising from pillars on the first story to a wide pediment at the roof line. Above the central wood framed entrance is a large arched windows. The roof is hipped. The building now serves as the City Hall.
Note: The cost of construction was $2,410.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Allegan County
E – Kalamazoo County
W – Barrien County and Lake Michigan
Photos taken 2008