Hillsdale County is named for the rolling terrain of the area.
Created: October 29, 1829
Jonesville 1835 – 1843
Hillsdale 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Hillsdale
Location: 29 North Howell Street / McCollum Street
Built: 1898– 1899
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: Claire Allen of Jackson
Contractor: Geake & Henry of Fort Wayne and C E Campbell ( superintendant of construction ).
Description: The building faces west and is a two story sandstone structure. The building has a large portico with three arches on the first story, four columns on the second story and a decorative pediment above. On the center of the roof is a square clock tower rising to a round green dome with small cupola at the top.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Baldwin & Boles and constructed by McAdams & Stinson in 1850.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Lenawee County
Photos taken 2008