Midland County is named for its location near the midpoint of the Lower Peninsula.
Created: March 2, 1831
Midland 1850 – present
County Courthouse – Midland
Location: 301 West Main Street / Fitzhugh Street
Built: 1925 – 1926
Style: Tudor Revival
Architect: Bloodgood Tuttle of Detroit
Contractor: Spence Brothers of Saginaw
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story stone, stucco and concrete structure. The building forms an “H” shape. The north and south wings extend outwards with pitched roofs with vertical wood stripes and stone facing below. The central entrance has three arched doors. An addition was added in 1958. The architect was Alden B Dow. The rear of the building has three stories and was added in 1977 to 1979. The architect was Robert E Schwartz and Associates and the contractor was Helger Construction Company.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Gladwin County
W – Isabella County
Photos taken 2008