Montcalm County is named for Louis-Joseph, Marquis de Montcalm de Saint Veran, who was a French military commander in the French and Indian War.
Created: March 2, 1831
Greenville 1850 – 1860
Stanton 1860 – present
County Courthouse – Stanton
Location: 617 North State Street / Quarterline Street
Built: 2001 – 2002
Architect: Wigen, Tincknell, Meyers & Associates
Contractor: Clark Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a one story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is an “L” shape design with the central entrance in the center with peaked red colored roof. The building has glass exterior walls. The architect is hipped.
See: The architect, Wigen, Tincknell, Meyers & Associates, designed courthouses in Clinton County, Ingham County and Roscommon County. The contractor Clark Construction Company of Lansing constructed courthouses in Clinton County, Ingham County and Livingstome County.
Old County Courthouse – Stanton
Location: 211 West Main Street / South Court Street
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Edwyn A Bowd
Contractor: Wright & Prall.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The north front has a large portico supported by four large columns with pediment above. The projecting cornice runs below the roof line. The base of the building is stone. The roof line is flat. The building houses the administrative offices.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Joseph P Shoemaker at a cost of $800. In 1870, Seth Sprague erected a fireproof building for $1500. The previous courthouse was constructed by Jacob V Consaul of Grand Haven in 1879 to 1881 at a cost of $23,000. The building burned in 1905. A new courthouse was constructed at a cost of $58,280.68.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Gratiot County
Photos taken 2008