Gogebic County is named for the Ojibwe word “agogebic” meaning “rock” and was named after Gogebic Lake, and also means “rocky dividing lake” or “place of dividing”.
Created: February 7, 1887
Bessemer 1887 – present
County Courthouse – Bessemer
Location: 200 North Moore Street / West Iron Street
Built: 1887 – 1888
Architect: John Scott & Company of Detroit
Contractor: E E Grip and John Wahlman
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored Jacobsville sandstone with white streaks structure. The building has a high square red colored sandstone tower. Farther up the tower are rectangular windows with transons, surrounded by carved stone, and a porthole window. A dentilated cornice runs around the roof line of the building. The east entrance has an arch at the doorway. The second story windows are arched. On the south side is an arched covered entrance. The building contains marble and woodwork. In 1915, the building was rebuilt and enlarged. The architect was Charlton and Kuenzli and the contractor was Herman Gundlach. The building was renovated in 1974 with construction of an addition on the north side. The architect was Architectural Resources, Inc. and the contractor was P J Nickel Company.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $50,000. The rock for the courthouse was quarried from a mountainside a half mile away.
See: The architect, John Scott & Company of Detroit, designed courthouses in Wayne County. The contractors Wahlman and Grip built the courthouse in Houghton County and E E Grip built courthouses in Dickinson County and Ontonagon County.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Iron County
W – Iron County, Wisconsin
Photos taken 2007 and 2015