Ontonagon County is named for a river called Nantounagon on an early French map which in the Ojibwee Native American language means “hunting river”.
Created: March 91, 1843
Ontonagon 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Ontonagon
Location: 725 Greenland Road / South 7th Street
Built: 1979 – 1980
Architect: C Everett Thorsen Architect Inc. of Duluth, Minnesota
Contractor: Herman Gundlach, Inc. and August Winter & Sons
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building has a recessed area on the first story divided by brick pillars. The building has narrow vertical windows. The building extends outwards as it heads northeast. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Ontonagon
Location: NW – Trapp Street / Houghton Street
Built: 1884 – 1886
Architect: Charlton, Gilbert & Demar
Contractor: E E Grip
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick structure. The southwest front has a projecting center section with a large arch and recessed entrance on the first story. The center section rises to a peak at the roof line. Three sides have similar facades a central entrance in a gabled pavilion flanked by tall double-hung windows. The stone window lintels form part of a beltcourse that circles the building. The roof is hipped. The foundation is sandstone. In 1896, the building burned and was rebuilt. An addition was constructed in 1937. The building is now a private residence.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Lake Superior and Ontario, Canada
S – Gogebic County
W – Gogebic County
Photos taken 2007 and 2010