Wayne County is named for Anthony Wayne, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War, and who lived from 1745 to 1796.
Created: August 15, 1796
Detroit 1796 – present
Old County Courthouse – Detroit
Location: 600 Randolph Street / Congress Street
Built: 1897 – 1902
Style: English Baroque / Beaux Arts
Architect: John Scott & Company
Contractor: Robert L Robertson
Description: The building faces southwest and is a five story gray granite stone structure. The building and has a large portico supported by six columns rising from the third to fourth story and with three square openings on the second story. There are square towers at each corner. On the center of the roof is a high square tower which is tiered at the top with a steep red colored roof. The base of the building is horizontal gray granite. The upper stories are sandstone. The exterior sculpture was executed by Detroit sculptor Edward Wagner. New York sculptor J Massey Rhind of New York completed the bronze sculpture two quadrigas, Victory and Progress and four figures on the tower being Law, Commerce, Agriculture and Mechanics. The building was renovated in 1986 and completed in 1987. The interior has seven varieties of foreign marble and nine domestic. The architect was Smith, Hinchman & Grylls Asociates Inc. and Quinn Evans Architects and the contractor was Walbridge Adinger Company. The building is now privately owned.
See: The architect, John Scott & Company of Detroit, deisigned the courthouse in Gogebic County.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
County Courthouse – Detroit
Location: 1441 St. Antoine Street / Grand Avenue
Built: 1967 – 1970
Architect: Eberle M Smith Associates
Contractor: Darwin & Armstrong Inc.
Description: The building faces northeast and is a twelve story concrete and glass structure. The rectangular shaped building is constructed with precast concrete and with minimal windows. The first nine stories have glass corner windows and windows between the projecting concrete sections. The top three stories have vertical concrete dividers with recessed windows between. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice”. The building houses the Third Judicial Court.
Note: The cost of construction was $14,500,000.
County Courthouse Civil Division – Detroit
Location: 2 Woodward Avenue / Jefferson Avenue East
Built: 1953 – 1955
Architect: Harley, Ellington & Day Inc.
Contractor: Bryant & Detwiler Company
Description: The building faces southeast and is a thirteen story tower on the north side housing city departments and a twenty story toweron the south side housing the courts. The building is named as the Coleman A Young Municipal Center. At the south side of the building is the sculptuire “Spirit of Detroit” by Marshall M Fredericks.
Note: The cost of construction was $26,000,000.
E – Ontario, Ontario
S – Monroe County
W – Washtenaw County
Photos taken 2008 and 2015