Dickinson County is named for Don M Dickinson, who was the United States Postmaster General under President Grover Cleveland.
Created: May 21, 1891
Iron Mountain 1891 – present
County Courthouse – Iron Mountain
Location: 705 South Stephenson Avenue / East C Street
Built: 1896 – 1897
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: James E Clancy
Contractor: E E Grip & Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is faced with rock faced red colored brick and trimmed with Portage Entry sandstone. The building has an 89 foot high square brick tower at the center front of the building. The clock was made by the Seth Thomas Clock Company in 1935. At the base of the tower is a large arch at the entrance. The north wing and south wing project from the main building. On the south side of the courthouse is the old castle-like jail which is now part of the courthouse.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Marquette County
W – Iron County
Photos taken 2007 and 2015