Rockcastle County is named for the Rockcastle River which forms the boundary with Laurel County, and Isaac Lindsey in 1767 named the river after a lone rock that looked like an ancient castle.
Created: January 8, 1810
Mount Vernon 1810 – present
County Courthouse – Mount Vernon
Location: 200 East Main Street / Church Street
Built: 1965 – 1966
Architect: Bayless Clotfelter and Johnson of Lexington
Contractor: G Marcus Jones
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building has narrow windows which run vertically from the first to third story. On the north side is a small square with a three story addition along the east side which was built in 1991 to 1992. The architect was Garlan E Vanhook of Stanford and the contractor was C B & S Construction Company.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by T T Milburn and constructed in 1871.
Photos taken 2007