Jackson County is named for Andrew Jackson, who was the 7th President of the United States from 1829 to 1837.
Created: February 2, 1858
McKee 1858 – present
County Courthouse – McKee
Location: 101 Main Street / 1st Street
Built: 1950 – 1951
Architect: J M Ingram of Louisville
Contractor: McWhorter Brothers of McKee
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a central entrance on the first story with a projecting balcony on the second story with clock above at the roof line. On the east and west sides, the building projects at the center. The windows are vertical. The roof line is flat.
Note: The cost of the present courthouse was $95,000.
See: The contractor, McWhorter Brothers of McKee, also constructed thew courthouse in Leslie County.
County Judicial Center – McKee
Location: 100 1st Street / Main Street
Built: 2007 – 2009
Architect: JRA Architects of Lexington
Contractor: Codell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a large portico supported by four square pillars with flat roof at the top of the second story. The first story is white colored concrete with a projecting cornice at the top. The front has two projecting sections with a recessed center section at the portico. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line.
Photos taken 2014