Breathitt County is named for John Breathitt, who was the Governor of Kentucky from 1832 to 1834.
Created: February 8, 1839
Jackson 1839 – present
County Courthouse – Jackson
Location: 1137 Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1962 – 1963
Architect: Bayless, Clotfeltner and Johnson of Lexington
Contractor: Paul Blanton
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The northwest front has a gray colored concrete enclosed portico extending from the building with gray colored concrete with vertical lines on either side of the glass doorway. On the upper east section of the front is a clock. The building descends on the south down the hill. On the east side the windows are narrow and there is a large grey slab with vertical lines. Along the east side is a War Memorial courtyard.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1876 and remodeled in 1912. The building was demolished.
County Judicial Center – Jackson
Location: 1131 Main Street / Smith Lane
Built: 2005 – 2006
Architect: CMW, Inc. of Lexington
Contractor: Codell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces northwest and Built in 2003, the modern building is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure..The building is located on the west side of the courthouse. The building has a central tower with clock above and the entrance on the first story.
S – Perry County
County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2007 and 2018