Garrard County is named for James Garrard, who was Governor of Kentucky from 1796 to 1804.
Created: December 17, 1796
Lancaster 1796 – present
County Courthouse – Lancaster
Location: 15 Public Square / Stanford Street
Built: 1868 – 1869
Architect: County Building Committee
Contractor: John Haly of Frankfort
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The north front and east side have arches along the first story and a portico rising to the pediment at the top of the second story. The windows are narrow and vertical. Over the front is a high square white wood cupola sitting on a white brick base and with clock at the top and a round silver dome. The building was renovated in 1914. The architect was Weber, Warren & Adkins and the contractor was O P Raymond & Company. The building was renovated from 1973 to 1975. The architect was Donald & Shelton and the contractor was Joe M Hawkins & Company Inc. and William Teater & Company Inc.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Stephen Giles Letcher and Benjamin Letcher in 1797. The second courthouse was built in 1812 to 1813.
Note: The original cupola was a tall observation tower used by the geological survey, but was replaced in 1914 to 1918 using brick left over from the high school.
County Justice Center – Lancaster
Location: 54 Stanford Street / Public Square
Built: 2009 – 2010
Architect: Brandstetter-Carroll Inc. of Lexington
Contractor: Branscum Construction Company of Russell Springs.
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The northeast front has a circular portico with six columns with glass panels behind. There is a cornice along the flat roof line.
E – Madison County
Photos taken 2007 and 2014