Madison County is named for James Madison, who was the President of the United states from 1809 to 1817.
Created: October 17, 1785
Milford 1785 – 1798
Richmond 1798 – present
County Courthouse – Richmond
Location: 101 West Main Street / North 1st Street
Built: 1849 – 1850
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Major Thomas Lewinski of Lexington
Contractor: Bowman & Thompson and Lewis & Bolt
Description: The building faces south and is a two story white colored brick structure. The south front has a large temple style portico supported by four large white colored columns. The east and west wings extend below the high main roof. Atop the roof is an octagonal white colored wood cupola with clock at the base and black colored roof at the top. The building was remodeled in 1880. The architect was Cropsey & Brown. The building was restored in 1964 to 1965. The architect was Marye and Bond and the contractor was Lane, White & Congleton Company.
Note: The first courthouse was built by William Golden in Milford in 1786, The second courthouse was built by Tyre Rodes in Richmond in 1799. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $35,000.
County Hall of Justice – Richmond
Location: 351 West Main Street / North 3rd Street
Built: 1896 – 1897
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Contractor: Samuel Rice of Madison County
Description: The building faces south and is a four story stone structure. The building was completed as a Federal Building containing the Post Office. The exterior of the building is faced with smooth and rusticated ashlar-cut stone from Rockcastle County. A tall tower on the left side consists of an open belfry with clock-faced dormers projecting from its steeply pitched pyramidal roof and an interior stairwell with randomly spaced, narrow vertical windows. The gable roof, also steeply pitched, contains two gable dormers on the main facade that contain ornamental copper inserts. Four engaged octagonal columns with Byzantine-like capitals extend asymmetrically across the second and third stories to support large arches. Three Romanesque arches on the first story emphasize the entrance beneath them. The finely carved stone piers with human-masked and foliated capitals represent typical features of the Romanesque Revival style. The building became the Richmond City Hall in 1970 and was converted into a courthouse in 1999.
Note: The cost of construction was $100,000.
E – Estill County
W – Gerrard County
Photos taken 2007