Allamakee County is named for Allan Makee, who was a trapper and trader.
Created: February 20, 1847
Columbus 1851 – 1853
Waukon 1853 – 1862
Lansing 1862 – 1867
Waukon 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Waukon
Location: 110 Allamakee Street / 1st Avenue NW
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Charles Altfillisch of Decorah
Contractor: Rye & Henkel Construction Company of Mason City
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and stone structure. The east front has stone trim around the central entrance. The windows are vertical in length with panels between them. The roof line is high in the center section and drops lower on the north and south and drops to one story on the north and south wings. The building is a Works Project Administration project.
Old County Courthouse – Waukon
Location: 109 Allamakee Street / 1st Avenue NW
Built: 1861 – 1862
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Hale, Jenkins & Pratt.
Contractor: Hale, Jenkins & Pratt.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The west front has a semi circular window above the entrance doorway. There is a square white cupola on the west end of the hipped roof.
Note: The cost of construction of the 1861 courthouse was $13,655.
N – Houston County, Minnesota
S – Clayton County
Photos taken 2007