Winneshiek County is named for Winneshiek, who was a chief of the Winnebago Native American tribe.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Allamakee County
S – Fayette County
Created: February 20, 1847
Decorah 1847 – present
County Courthouse – Decorah
Location: 201 West Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1903 – 1904
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Kinney & Detweiler of Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contractor: O H Olson
Description: The building faces north and is a two story brownish colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on a small hill with landscaped grounds in the center of Decorah. The north front has a large portico supported by four large columns with the pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance is arched with a small stone balcony above. Stone figures decorate the entrance. The corner pavilions extend from the building. The base is a red colored stone. In the center of the building is a high square copper dome with clock and small round dome at the top with green colored roof. The building houses the County District Court of the 1A Judicial District. On the southeast side is the Old County Jail built in 1878.
History: The county was created in 1847 and Decorah was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built by Daniel Hawley in 1858 at a cost of $18,000. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1903 to 1904 at a cost of $125,000.
County Courthouse – Decrorah
Photos taken 2007