Jackson County is named for Andrew Jackson, who was President of the United States of America.
Created: March 1, 1831
Ripley 1831 – present
County Courthouse – Ripley
Location: 100 Court Street / West Main Street
Built: 1918 – 1919
Architect: Levi J Dean
Contractor: Prescott Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story smooth limestone structure. The east front has a full-height entry porch with a gable pediment, all supported by Ionic columns. There are three entrance openings on the first story and a small balcony above the second story. On the center of the roof is an octagonal white cupola with clock at the top. The building has a dentiled cornice that overhangs slightly. An addition was constructed on the west side and extends south. The building was renovated in 2003. The architect was Brighton A & E, Inc. and the contractor was Harco Construction Company, Inc.
S – Kanawha County
Photos taken 2012