Meigs County is named for Return Johnathan Meigs Jr., who was Governor of Ohio and Postmaster General.
Created: April 1, 1819
Middleport 1819 – 1823
Chester 1823 – 1841
Pomeroy 1841 – present
County Courthouse – Pomeroy
Location: 100 East Second Street / Mulberry Avenue
Built: 1845 – 1848
Architect: S S Bergin
Contractor: John C Hysell ( supervisor )
Description: The building faces south and is a three story white colored brick structure. The south front has recessed center section with two large columns rising from a buff stone base to a pediment at the roof line. There is a balcony on the second story and recess staircases. The windows are arched. On the roof over the center section is a round cupola with gold dome. The building can be entered at any story as the north side is set into the hillside. The east and west wings were added in 1877 as well as the spiral staircase.
Note: The plans copied the Scioto County Court House at that time.
Old County Courthouse – Chester
Location: Highway 248 / Allen Street
Built: 1822 – 1823
Architect: Lawrence Jinks
Contractor: Able Chase
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on spacious grounds. The square shaped building is located at the top of a hill overlooking Chester to the south. The building has a central wood framed entrance on the first story. The roof is hipped.
Note: The courthouse is the oldest standing courthouse in Ohio.
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2011 and 2015