Calhoun County

US States / V-Z / West Virginia / Calhoun County
1394WV12

Calhoun County is named for John C Calhoun, who was the seventh Vice President of the United   States of America.

 

Created:  March 5, 1856

County Seat: 

Grantville  1856 – present

 

County Courthouse – Grantville 

 

Location:  363 Main Street / Court Street

Built:  1941 – 1942

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Theodore T Sansbury

Contractor:  Philip R Lewis

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a three story rough cut stone Art Deco style structure. The northwest front has a stone porch on the first story with a large center opening and with smaller openings on each side. Behind rises a high stone tower with windows in the center. The roof line is flat. The building was a Works Project Administration project.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Wirt County and Ritchie County

E – Gilmer County

S – Braxton County and Clay County

W – Roane County

 

 

 

1395wv12

 

 

1396wv12

 

 

1397wv12

 

 

1398wv12

 

 

1402wv12

 

 

1405wv12

Photos taken 2012