Roane County is named for Spencer Roane, who was a judge of the Virginia Supreme Court.
Created: March 11, 1856
Spencer 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Spencer
Location: 200 Main Street / Market Street
Built: 1964 – 1965
Architect: R L Wilson and J D King of St. Albans
Contractor: E O Fogleman Construction Company of Summersville
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building faces south and was completed in 1965. The south front has ten tall pillars supporting the roof overhang. The central entrance is glass. The windows of the rectangular building are horizontal. There are no windows on the east and west sides. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1856. The second courthouse was designed by E W William and built in 1887.
N – Wirt County
S – Kanawha County
W – Jackson County
Photos taken 2012