Clay County is named for Henry Clay, who was a statesman, member of the United States Senate from Kentucky and a United States Secretary of State.
Created: December 31, 1858
Middleburg 1858 – 1859
Whitesville 1859 – 1871
Green Cove Springs 1871 – present
County Courthouse – Green Cove Springs
Location: 825 North Orange Avenue / Houston Street
Built: 1970 – 1972
Architect: Allen Frye & Associates
Contractor: Forest Hills Building Company
Description: The building faces east and is a four story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The center section projects from the main building and has four columns on each of the three sides. Behind the entrance rises a square red colored brick and concrete clock tower with green colored dome. The north wing has a dark red colored brick façade divided by vertical concrete dividers and square horizontal opening running below the roof line. The south wing has arches along the first story and columns rising from the second to third stories. In 1980, the third and fourth stories were added. The architect was Bhide & Hall of Orange Park and the contractor was Robert Gay Construction Company of Jacksonville. The building was remodeled in 1993. The architect was Bhide & Hall of Orange Park and the contractor was Nelson Construction Company of Jacksonville. In 2006 to 2008, the west section was constructed. The architect was Spillis Candela DMJM and the contractor was Elkins Constructors, Inc.
Note: In 1972, the original north section was a two story structure. In 1980, the third and fourth stories were added. In 2008, the south section, clock tower and the projecting entrance sections were constructed.
Old County Courthouse – Green Cove Springs
Location: 915 Brabantio Avenue / Gratio Place
Built: 1889 - 1890
Architect: A E McClure of Jacksonville
Contractor: W A McDuff
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and stucco structure. The building was extended in 1911. Near the building is the old white colored brick jail which was constructed in 1894.
County Administration – Green Cove Springs
Location: 477 Houston Street / North Orange Avenue
Built: 1991 – 1992
Architect: Bhide & Hall Architects
Contractor: Bob Mathews Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces northwest and is is a four story brown brick and concrete structure. The northwest front has a central projecting porch with two large square towers behind. The west tower rises five stories and the east tower rises four stories, The first story has a one story section along the northwest front with arches. The upper story has a white colored horizontal band framing the top of the arched windows. A white colored band runs along the flat roof line.
N – Duval County
S – Putnam County
Old County Courthouse
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2009 and 2018