Duval County

US States / A-G / Florida / Duval County
16F18

Duval County is named for William P Duval, who was the first territorial governor.

 

Created:  August 22, 1822

County Seat:

Jacksonville  1822 – present

 

County Courthouse – Jacksonville 

 

Location:  501 West Adams Street / North Pearl Street

Built:  2009 – 2012

Style:  Modern Greek Revival

Architect:  KBJ Architects

Contractor:  Turner Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces south and is a seven story concrete, steel and glass  structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Jacksonville. The south front has a projecting two story center section with columns rising to a pediment. On either side of the center section are low two story sections with curved corners with columns and recessed windows. On the north side rises the main section with a central pediment with glass walls. The roof line is flat. The central entrance lobby rises 188 feet to the top of the building. The building contains 51 courtrooms. 

 

 

Former County Courthouse – Jacksonville 

 

0027f09

 

Location:  330 East Bay Street / South Market Street

Built:  1956 – 1958

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Reynolds, Smith & Hills

Contractor:  The George D Auchter Company

 

Description: The building faces north and is a seven story concrete and glass  structure. The building is located in the center of Jacksonville. The north front of the building has vertical dividers dispersed with small vertical dividers between the windows. There is a concrete canopy over the entrance doors. The sides and rear of the building are buff colored brick with concrete siding on the upper levels which are tired. The building is soon to be demolished.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was designed by Rutledge Holmes and constructed by M T Lewman & Company in 1902. An annex was constructed in 1914. The old courthouse was demolished but the annex remains at 213 East Forsyth Strret and South Market Street..

 

County Courthouse Annex – Jacksonville 

 

0036f09

 

Location:  200 East Bay Street / South Market street

Built:  1960 – 1962

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Reynolds, Smith & Hills

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description: The building faces north and is a fifteen story brick, steel, concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the center of Jacksonville and is now vacant.

 

Old County Courthouse Annex – Jacksonville 

 

37f18

 

Location:  213 East Forsyth Street / South Market Street

Built:  1914 – 1916

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Talley & Summer

Contractor:  W P Richardson & Company

 

Description: The building faces south and is a four story stone structure. The building is located in the center of Jacksonville and is named as the Yates Building. In 1902, the third courthouse was designed by Rutledge Holmes and the constructed M T Lewman & Company on the east side of the Annex and  In 1914, the Annex was constructed which doubled the size of the courthouse. The 1902 courthouse was demolished and the Annex remains with additions on the east and west sides.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1840’s and destroyed during the Civil War. The second courthouse was designed by Ellis & McClure and constructed by Thomas W Anderson in 1886. The building was destroyed by fire in 1901.

 

Courthouses: 

Nassau County

E – Atlantic Ocean

S – Saint Johns County and Clay County

W – Baker County and Nassau County

 

 

 

10f18

County Courthouse

 

 

12f18

 

 

11f18

 

 

17f18

 

 

21f18

 

 

24f18

 

 

25f18

 

 

26f18

 

 

27f18

 

 

28f18

 

 

29f18

 

 

30f18

 

 

33f18

 

 

0028f09

Former County Courthouse

 

 

0025f09

 

 

0026f09

 

 

0030f09

 

 

0031f09

 

 

0032f09

 

 

0035f09

County Courthouse Annex

 

 

0037f09

 

 

34f18

Courthouse Annex 1914

 

 

36f18

 

 

39f18

 

 

40f18

 

 

41f18

Photos taken 2009 and 2018