Alachua County is named for either the Muskogee or Timucua Native American word meaning “sinkhole”.
Created: February 29, 1824
St. Augustine ( St. Johns ) 1824 – 1853
Newnanville 1853 – 1854
Gainesville 1854 – present
County Courthouse – Gainesville
Location: 201 East University Avenue / SE 3rd Street
Built: 1978 – 1979
Architect: Craig, Balley & Associates of Gainesville
Contractor: Charles R Perry Construction, Inc. of Gainesville
Description: The building faces west and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and has a number of protruding sections with vertical concrete divisions and horizontal bands. The fourth story extends out from the main building. The west front has a large central glass wall above the entrance. The building is named as the Judicial Building.
Old County Courthouse – Gainesville
Location: 12 SE 1st Avenue / South Main Street
Built: 1957 – 1958
Style: Modern / Art Deco
Architect: Arthur L Campbell Jr. of Campbell, O’Kelly & May
Contractor: H H Parrish and M M Parrish
Description: The building faces east and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The building faces east and was completed in 1958. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The east front has a central glass entrance on the first story, A high concrete clock tower rises towards the north section. The large windows are horizontal. On the northwest a two story wing extends west. In the interior is the lion statue from the 1885 courthouse. The building houses county offices. An extension was added on the north side in 1962. The architect was Arthur L Campbell Jr. of Haines & O’Kelly and the contractor was Arnold & Wright, Inc. The building served as courthouse from 1958 until 1978.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1885 to 1886 at a cost of $31,000. The architect was H J Campbell and the contractor was H Murphy and H W Roberts. The bid for the construction of the 1958 courthouse was $348,627,
County Criminal Justice Courthouse – Gainesville
Location: 220 South Main Street / SW 2nd Avenue
Built: 2003 – 2004
Architect: DLR Group of Orlando
Contractor: PPI Construction Management of Gainesville
Description: The building faces east and is a five story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The main building on the west has vertical dividers between the windows with the stories below the fifth story projecting. The entrance section extends eastwards to the street line. The building is namesd as the Criminal Justice Center.
W – Gilchrist County
Old County Courthouse
Lion statue from 1885 courthouse
County Criminal Justice Center
Photos taken 2009 and 2018