Baker County is named for James McNair Baker, who was a judge and a Confederate States Senator.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
W – Columbia County
Created: February 8, 1861
Sanderson 1861 – 1886
Macclenny 1886 – present
County Courthouse – Macclenny
Location: 339 East Macclenny Avenue / North 2nd Street
Built: 1940 – 1948
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Roy A Benjamin of Jacksonville
Contractor: Works Progress Administration using local trades
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Macclenny. The south front has a large portico supported by four high columns with a wide pediment containing a clock. A white colored stone band runs horizontally below the roof line. On the east and west sides are one story wings. There is a large mural in the entrance lobby. The building was a Works Progress Administration project. The building was renovated in 2002. The architect was Rink Reynolds Diamond Fisher of Jacksonville and the contractor was The Auchter Company.
Note: Due to the start of World War II, construction of the courthouses was delayed until the war ended.
Old County Courthouse – Macclenny
Location: 14 West McIvor Avenue / South 5th Street
Built: 1908 – 1909
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Edward Columbus Hosford of Atlanta, Georgia
Contractor: Mutual Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and limestone trim structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Macclenny. The north front has a small portico supported by four columns. On the second story is a large window with pediment above at the roof line. Each of the corners of the building are six sided towers. A projecting cornice runs below the roof line. On the center of the roof is a high cupola with clock and red colored dome at the top. The building is now the Emily Taber Library.
See: The architect, Edward Columbus Hosford of Atlanta, Georgia..
History: The first courthouse was a wood frame structure built in Sanderson after 1861. The building burned in 1877. In 1886 the county seat was moved to Macclenny. The second courthouse was constructed in 1908 to 1909 at a cost of $19,985 and is still standing. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1940 to 1948.
County Courthouse - Macclenny
Old County Courthouse - Macclenny
Photos taken 2009 and 2018