Bradford County

US States / A-G / Florida / Bradford County
Bradford -O

Bradford County is named for Richard Bradford, who was a Confederate officer killed in a battle near Pensacola.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

– Baker County

E – Clay County

S – Alachua County

W – Union County

 

Created:  December 21, 1858                Map of Florida highlighting Bradford County

County Seat:

Lake Butler ( Union )  1858 – 1884

Starke                         1884 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Starke

 

Location:  209 West Call Street / North Temple Avenue

Built:  1902 – 1903

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  S B Smith of Smith and Blackburn

Contractor:  F M Dobson

 

Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick, limestone trim and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the old Courthouse Square in the center of Starke to the south of the courthouse, The south front has a projecting arched porch on the first story with recessed entrance. Above the porch rises a high square brick clock tower with clock and steep green colored roof. The first story windows are arched. Along the roof line are two dormers. The roof is hipped. The building is now used as a college.

 

County Courthouse – Starke

 

0187f09

 

Location:  945 North Temple Avenue / George Street

Built:  1968 – 1969

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  Frank George George of Palatka

Contractor:  Triest Construction Company of Keystone Heights

 

Description: The building faces east and is a two story yellow colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Starke. The center section is recessed with the north and south one story wings extending eastwards forming a courtyard in the middle. The central section has a glass wall extending from the main building and is dived by vertical concrete dividers.  The roof line is flat. The building was enlarged in 2003.

 

History:  As the former New River County and then Bradford County had Lake Butler as the county seat, in 1861 the county seat was retained in Lake Butler. No courthouse was erected. The county seat was finally moved to Starke in 1898 and the first courthouse was constructed in 1902 at a cost of $12,500. In 1921, Union County was created removing Lake Butler from Bradford County. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1968 to 1969.

 

 

0180f09

Old County Courthouse – Starke

 

 

0179f09

 

 

110f18

County Courthouse – Starke

 

 

0188f09

 

 

0185f09

 

 

0186f09

 

 

0184f09

 

 

0190f09

Photos taken 2009