Shelby County is named for Issac Shelby, who was Governor of Kentucky.
Created: February 7, 1818
Shelbyville 1820 – 1826
Columbiana 1826 – present
County Courthouse – Columbiana
Location: 112 North Main Street / Depot Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Bruce Architectural Company of Birmingham
Contractor: B G Bynum Construction Company of Montgomery
Description: The building faces east and is a three story flagstone structure. The east front has a high portico supported by four columns rising to a pediment. Each corner of the building has a square tower with dome. On the center of the roof is an octagonal dome with clock and cupola at the top. An addition was built in 1954 and 1955. The architect was Martin J Lide of Birmingham and the contractor was E C Coston. Renovations were done in 1992. The architect was R M Cunningham. An addition was added in 2002. The architect was Rick Lathan.
Old County Courthouse – Columbiana
Location: South Main Street / Mildred Street
Built: 1854 – 1855
Architect: McCan & Williamson
Contractor: McCan & Williamson
Description: The building faces north and is a two story gray colored stucco frame structure. The north front has a projecting center section with arched entrance on the first area with arched window on the second story. The roof is hipped. The building was expanded in 1881. The building served as the courthouse until 1907 and became the City Hall.
Note: The cost of construction was $2500.
S – Chilton County
Photos taken 2010